Previous Entry Share Next Entry
St.Maria Hill
Франциск Асизский
naperovskom
005.jpgSt. Maria Hill or “Maria Saint” — place of interest not far from Rostov, including monuments of nature and culture. It is situated near village Filimonovo, Petrovsk settlement, Rostov district, Yaroslavi region, Russia. The natural boundary is on the bank of river Sara and has also archeological importance: hill fort of the iron era with middle-age cemetery, a burial ground and places of ancient selishche.009.jpg
Information from manuscript St. Maria
Hill was first mentioned in 1216 in the description of the battle on Lipitza.
Then they armed Vsevolod with detachments and sent to Constantin, they themselves went down Volga, after they left the baggage cart, sat on the horses and went to Pereslavi fighting on the way. When they stood near Gorodishche on the river Sara at St. Maria church on the 9th of April, Easter, prince Constantin with Rostov citizens came. He was happy and kissed the cross and sent Vladimir from Pskov with detachment to Rostov. They themselves stayed opposite Pereslavi where they came on Foma`s week”.
Church land
The natural boundary was left in XVI-XVII centuries and mentioned later in 1685 as
“Maria of Egypt church land of Pereslavl-Zalessky Konyutsky camp near village Yudin on Sara river: the owner of the plot Anton Vasilyev Beklernishev”. Archeological monuments are decorated by nature: greenwood, oaks, maples, black alder, elms and ash trees. Biologists discovered representatives of flora and wildlife, introduced into the “Red Book”. There is also the well “Saint Maria” at the bottom of the hill, still worshipped by local people.

Regional ethnographer`s studies.
The first published information of St. Maria Hill dates back to 1789: “It should be mentioned as in the suburbs of the village across the river Sara to Pereslavi Zalessky direction there is a rather high hill with forests but on the top it has a plain ground, where there had been a monastery in ancient times.” Topographic maps of the XVIII, XIX and the beginning of the XXth centuries show demarcations of the borders of three spots with names: “Saint Maria”, “Bell tower”, “Popovka”, that prove existence of the holly place. A.A.Titov, well known local historian paid special attention to this natural boundary:
About three miles from the village Krasnokamenye there is a steep and rather high hill, covered with forests; it is near river Sara. The view from the hill is very pleasant; the hill is known as Saint Maria Hill and you can trace remains of burial mound. Folk legend says that there had been St.Maria monastery burnt by enemies and now you can see some traces of buildings. Between the hill and river Sara there is the so called “Marya Saint” well, not deep and according to the local legend it appeared after the biggest bell had fallen down during the defeat of the monastery. In general this hill needs deep investigations; this would help to see the history of the territory in a new aspect”.
003.jpg
Modern investigations Archeologists of the XXth century: D.A. Ushakov, A.E. Leontyev, K.I. Komarov carried out some studies, made up plans of excavations, the monuments were put on protection. Every scientist mentioned the beauty of the place and its importance in cultural heritage. Historical experts of the museum “Rostov Kremlin” A.L.Karetnikov, A.V.Kiselyov, I.V.Kuptsov published some scientific articles on the basis of surveys of the place at the beginning of the XXIst century
002.jpg
Irreparable harm
Black diggers came to the natural boundary in 2005-2005 that damaged the place greatly. On the 29th of August 2014 the government of Yaroslavl region gave the permission to use the place for getting sand, pebble, gravel, which was also a great mistake. Only after they found out that the territory possessed the archeological monuments of federal importance.
001.jpg
Place of interest
In 2015 Yaroslavl eparchy of Russian Orthodox Church made an application to include the natural boundary Saint Maria Hill into the Register of protected objects of cultural heritage. The order was issued on the 21St of September 2015.
Дороги и селища.jpg
Tours, pilgrimage
The natural boundary attracts attention both tourists and pilgrims and schoolchildren. During special visits organized by people in 2015 the territory was taken care of, the road that leads from village Filirnonovo to St. Maria Hill got signs, the small bridge and the path to the Saint well were repaired.

?

Log in

No account? Create an account